Duration: 40 hours (taught in
non-urban setting) with optional overnight stay
Cost: $449 + HST (Recertification: $249 + HST)
Advanced level of Wilderness & Remote First Aid that covers material in Standard First Aid & CPR, plus special material on techniques for wilderness and remote areas. Course also offers strategies for providing extended care for more than 24 hours. The course is taught in an outdoor setting all year round and requires greater physical activity and endurance than typical first aid training. Intended for individuals who lead activities outside of immediate access by EMS. You do not require the Basic course prior to taking this course. You may also upgrade to this Advanced level from Basic.HALLOWEEN EDITION: October 19-20, 26-27 This is a seasonally-themed version of the AWRFA course. As the days progress, the scenarios WILL intensify. Things WILL get (fake) bloodier than usual!
100% attendance, skills demonstration, and 75% min. passing grade on written quiz
3-year certification in Advanced Wilderness & Remote First Aid, CPR Level C, and AED
DID YOU KNOW: The WSIB (Workplace Safety and Insurance Board) in Ontario does not recognize standalone Wilderness & Remote First Aid courses? Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulations (SOR/86-304) PART XV-First Aid 16.3 (4) (c) state:
"If the workplace is in a wilderness area staff are required to have a standard first aid certificate and wilderness first aid training, that is specifically designed to meet the first aid needs of persons who work, live or travel in such areas."
If you require a certification for work, we recommend maintenance of *both* the Wilderness and SFA (Standard First Aid) certifications. We eliminate the expense and hassle from this situation by offering our Wilderness participants the opportunity to study the SFA curriculum online at their own pace prior to the Wilderness weekend. You complete the online portion, then level up your skills on the same weekend and finish up with TWO certifications; Advanced Wilderness and Remote First Aid *and* Standard First Aid. Sounds easy? It is. Simply select the Blended SFA bolt-on option when purchasing your course!
2-day recertification. Proof of valid Red Cross AWRFA certificate required.
- Your health
- Airway emergencies
- Breathing and circulation emergencies
- Cardiac and respiratory arrest (includes CPR-C)
- Wound care
- Head and spine injuries
- Bone, muscle and joint injuries
- Sudden medical emergencies
- Environmental emergencies
- Extended care
- Evacuation: transporting the ill or injured person
- Establishing control through leadership
- Legal considerations
- Incident reporting, trip / float / flight plan
- Human and environmental hazard assessment
- Critical incident stress
- Rescue breathing, Full-face helmet removal
- Discontinuing spinal precautions
- Realigning fractures / relocating dislocations
- Coast Guard / GSAR / DND / Air ambulance
- Communications and signaling
In addition to advanced skills and LOADS of additional scenarios, AWRFA places a strong focus on leadership and team management.
Optional Overnight Camp
- Overnight #1: Knots & cordage / fire-building
- Overnight #2: Stop The Bleed - Bleeding Control Basic / Extended night-time first aid scenarios
Waterproof Red Cross Wilderness & Remote First Aid Field Guide
Optional: Stop The Bleed certification (American College of Surgeons)