Cost: $39 + HST
This is a comprehensive course which meets the legislated general WHMIS training requirements for both federal and provincial/territorial workplaces. An additional module introduces participants to the GHS.
The GHS module was updated September 2014 to include information about Health Canada's proposed Hazardous Product Regulations which will replace the Controlled Product Regulations and revise WHMIS.
WHIMIS PLUS GHS is appropriate for all workers and an ideal choice for supervisors and managers, who should be prepared for upcoming changes in hazard classification, labeling, and SDS formats. Interactive online exercises engage learners and reinforce key concepts, while mandatory testing ensures that individuals have retained the required knowledge.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Know the essential role WHMIS plays in protecting the health and safety of workers
- Understand the WHMIS responsibilities of suppliers, employers, and workers
- Recognize the WHMIS hazard symbols and the risks posed by products carrying those symbols
- Explain the workplace requirements related to the use of supplier labels and workplace labels and know how to locate and interpret the information found on these labels
- Recognize the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) as the primary source of detailed information about a controlled product and know how to locate specific information in an MSDS
- Identify exempt products, partially-exempt products and exceptions to WHMIS
- Describe GHS hazard classification, GHS label elements and the GHS format for Safety Data Sheets
- Understand the likely changes to WHMIS under the proposed Hazardous Product Regulations and the timelines for implementation
The course is presented in 7 modules. Each includes mandatory testing. Participants must pass all tests in order to complete the course. Those who do not pass a test must review module content and re-test until a passing grade is obtained. Questions are randomly selected from a test bank to ensure that each testing experience is unique. Upon successful completion of all modules, participants can download and print a Certificate of Completion which includes their name and the date of training.
Participants can begin training immediately and can pause and resume training as needed. There are no time limits. Each person progresses at the pace that best matches their learning style and prior knowledge of course material. Most participants will complete the course in 2-3 hours.
Note: To comply with legislated requirements, employers must also provide workplace-specific training so that workers know the specific controlled products in their workplace, are aware of the hazards associated with those products, and know how to use, handle, store, and dispose of specific products safely.