Duration: ~1 hour, self-paced
This online course provides information that will prepare you to handle situations that you may encounter when working, hunting, camping, or travelling in bear country. In addition to teaching you about the general characteristics and habits of bears, you will learn how to recognize and react to both defensive and non-defensive attacks to ensure you make it home unharmed.
This engaging course conveys the information via unique video content, making it a popular choice for those requiring the training. Hosted by the same presenter of the highly recommended Wilderness Awareness course, which is available HERE as a package deal combined with Bear Awareness.
Testing conducted in this online Bear Awareness course is designed to reinforce the information presented. A mark of 80% must be achieved in order to receive a certificate of completion. Users are able to repeat the course twice if the pass mark is not achieved.
- Differences between grizzly and black bears
- General characteristics
- Bear behaviour and body language
- Signs of agitation
- Distribution of bear populations
- Food sources
- Hunting, camping, and travelling safely in bear country
- How to store food in a campsite
- Avoiding a bear encounter
- Recognizing and reacting to defensive and non-defensive attacks
- When and how to play dead
- Using and handling bear spray
- Bear bangers
Certificate of completion:
Upon successful completion of this online course, a certificate of completion will be available to download and print.