Duration: 7 hours, self-paced
This online Alberta Common Ground Alliance (ABCGA) endorsed course is designed for planners, managers, supervisors, and employees who are required to develop, plan, or undertake any kind of ground disturbance.
This Ground Disturbance 201 course contains the same course content and examination criteria as a classroom delivered course that has been endorsed to the Alberta Common Ground Alliance (ABCGA) Ground Disturbance 201 Standard.
A mark of 80% must be achieved in order to pass this course. The final exam is able to be taken three times in efforts to achieve the pass mark.
Course Content:Module A: Damage Prevention
- The importance of damage prevention
- Buried facility damage and its consequences
- The responsibilities of stakeholders involved in damage prevention and ground disturbance
- Damage prevention legislation, organizations, and publications
- The need for standardized damage prevention and ground disturbance training
- The definition of ground disturbance
- The importance of codes of practice in terms of ground disturbance
- The importance of and requirements for hazard assessments and emergency response plans
- The various approvals required for ground disturbance
- The various agreements related to ground disturbance
- Onsite supervision responsibilities for all parties involved in a ground disturbance
- The requirements for conducting a search for buried facilities
- The notification process and the requirements of those involved
- The responsibilities and requirements for requesting locates and locating buried facilities
- The different types of locate marks and outline marking requirements
- Hand expose zones according to regulatory and industry requirements
- Pre-job meetings and what they should entail
- How to use a ground disturbance permit
- Tailgate meetings and how to conduct them
- Proper hand exposure techniques
- Proper excavation and backfilling procedures
- Damage management, incident reporting, and investigation requirements
Certificate of completion:
Upon successful completion of this online course, a certificate of completion will be available for download and printing. The certificate is valid for 3 years from the course completion date indicated on the certificate.