Duration: 20 hours (taught in
wilderness setting) with optional overnight stay
Cost: $249 + HST
The AWRFA course is often offered with the WRFA course by including a second weekend that only the AWRFA participants attend. Maybe your schedule didn't allow for dedicating two weekends in a row. Maybe you enjoyed the Basic WRFA course so much, you'd like to come back for more! This one-weekend course offers the chance to return for an Advanced upgrade at a later date. However, ONLY students trained by IRESCUE are welcome to register within 6 months of successfully obtaining their Basic level certification. You may not sign up for this upgrade if you are coming from another agency.
100% attendance, skills demonstration, and 75% min. passing grade on written quiz
3-year certification in Advanced Wilderness & Remote First Aid, CPR Level C, and AED
A 2-day recertification weekend will be introduced in 2018. Proof of valid Red Cross AWRFA certificate required.
- Establishing control through leadership
- Legal considerations
- Incident reporting, trip / float / flight plan
- Human and environmental hazard assessment
- Critical incident stress
- Rescue breathing, Full-face helmet removal
- Discontinuing spinal precautions
- Realigning fractures / relocating dislocations
- Coast Guard / GSAR / DND / Air ambulance
- Communications and signaling
In addition to advanced skills and LOADS of additional scenarios (night-time included), AWRFA places a strong focus on leadership and team management.
Optional Overnight Camp
- Extended night-time first aid scenarios
Waterproof Red Cross Wilderness & Remote First Aid Field Guide, Certification card